I discovered this recipe last winter and it became an immediate staple for me. The first time I made it I promptly called my mom to brag about the delicious dinner I was eating- which is a pretty good indicator of just how good it is! This Sweet Potato Barley Bowl packs so many healthy veggies into a single dish and it all comes together in just one pot. I love the combination of flavors in this dish and the slight chew of the barley adds a wonderful texture.
I would recommend topping this with shredded cheddar cheese or some fresh avocado. As an added bonus, the leftovers reheat very well. This is one of my favorite meals to pack as a work lunch.
- 3 tbl. olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I used red and green peppers)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup barley
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 15.25 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Cheddar cheese, avocado, or sour cream for topping (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes until they're beginning to soften. Add the carrots and onion and cook until the onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the bell peppers, corn, barley, diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, and vegetable broth.
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is cooked. Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with cheese, avocado, or sour cream as desired.
Adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron