Last week a friend requested that I make some chocolate cookies with macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips. I found a recipe for chewy chocolate cookies and adapted it just a bit to add in the nuts and white chocolate which turned out to be a wonderful addition. These might qualify as the chewiest cookie I’ve ever made- the texture is so soft it’s almost fudge-like. Don’t be put off by the instant coffee powder in the recipe, you won’t taste the coffee at all after the cookies have baked, it just intensifies the chocolate flavor!
Be careful not to over-mix these cookies, at each step in the directions mix the ingredients until just combined.
Chocolate Cookies with Macadamia Nuts and White Chocolate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 16 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. instant coffee or espresso powder
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened but cool
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler until smooth, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and instant coffee granules and stir until the coffee granules have dissolved.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter for a few seconds until smooth and creamy, add the sugars and beat until just combined (the mixture will look granular). Gradually beat in the egg mixture on low-speed until incorporated. Add the chocolate to the mixing bowl in a steady stream and continue beating until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated, then fold in the white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes until the consistency is fudge-like.
- When you’re ready to bake them, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a 1 1/2 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to make balls of the dough, place them on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the edges have begun to set but the center is still be soft. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes: About 40 cookies