Two years ago I lived in a teeny tiny little studio apartment, I loved nearly everything about it except for the kitchen which was incredibly small and cramped. Now that I live in a house that has actual storage space in the kitchen, it has been fun adding to my collection of kitchen appliances. The newest addition is a crock-pot that I got for Christmas, I’m so excited to try a bunch of recipes in it!
Last week for its inaugural meal I tried making a curry that was… less than awesome. I haven’t given up on curry completely, but I decided to switch gears and try a soup. I love tomato soup, and this one certainly didn’t disappoint! In addition to the tomatoes there are several other vegetables mixed in along with the basil and melted parmesan- basically there is a whole lot of goodness in this soup! I had it for dinner every night for almost a full week and when I finished off the last bowl tonight I was a little disappointed to see it was all gone. It’s safe to say this soup will be on regular rotation for the rest of winter!
Boom likes this soup too since he got to have several pieces of carrots and celery when I was making it!
I slightly altered the original recipe to make this soup a little healthier. The slightly healthier version is still delicious, creamy and rich. If you want to make it even healthier I think you could skip the half and half completely and just use milk. Next time that’s what I’ll do!
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tbl. fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, oregano, basil and broth to a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours until vegetables are the desired level of softness (I cooked it for 5 hours).
- About 45 minutes before you want to serve the soup, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat and whisk in the flour. Cook and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes to create a roux. Slowly stir in the half and half and 2 cups of soup until smooth, then pour it all back into the crock-pot.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, milk and salt and pepper. Add salt and pepper and additional basil or oregano if needed. Cover and cook on low for another 30 minutes until ready to serve.