We had an absolutely beautiful weekend here. It was pretty cloudy for most of the winter, but this weekend the sun came out and we had clear skies. Since my knee surgery in January, Boomer and I haven’t been able to spend quite as much time outside as we normally do. I’m finally able to be more active though, so Boom and I made sure to get out to enjoy the sun as much as we could.
In addition to several long walks with Boom, I also got to spend some time in the kitchen experimenting with a few new recipes including this Black Bean Chili. I loved this soup with some creamy avocado on top, but it would also be great with cheddar cheese or sour cream.
Black Bean Chili
- 1 tbl. olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (including juices)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 2 tsp adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper can)
- 3 cups low-salt vegetable broth
- 3 (15 oz. each) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (16 oz.) frozen corn kernels (no need to defrost)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until tender and light brown, about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and oregano and cook for 30 seconds then add the minced garlic. Cook for another minute then add the bay leaves and the can of diced tomatoes and juices. Stir in the tomato paste, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the black beans and corn to the chili and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, cheese, or avocado as desired. Enjoy!
Makes: About 8 servings