I know, two desserts with chocolate in a row. Don’t worry- the next dessert will have lemon!
But first, these chocolate oat bars. Super simple, super tasty, and you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen already. These bars have a rich layer of chocolate fudge sandwiched between two chewy oatmeal crumb layers. While the bars are perfectly delicious just like this, I think they would also be great with some walnuts or pecans added to the chocolate fudge layer.
As written, the recipe fits in a 8 x 8 pan, but you can easily double the ingredients to make a larger batch (which I highly recommend because these are amazing and you’ll wish you had more!)
Chocolate Oat Bars
- 1 cup quick-cook oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 8 tbl. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. instant espresso or instant coffee
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tbl. unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8 x 8 inch pan with foil and butter the foil.
- Stir together the oats, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. Reserve 3/4 cup of the oat mixture for the topping, press the rest of the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake the crust for about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the chocolate layer.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, instant espresso, and salt. Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler or in the microwave. Let the melted chocolate cool for several minutes, then whisk in the egg. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the crust, then crumble the remaining oat mixture over the top. Bake until the top layer of oatmeal is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs. Remove the bars from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting.