My day almost always starts off with a bowl of Cheerios and some fresh fruit. I love eggs and other breakfast foods, but I’d rather eat them for dinner instead of first thing in the morning. One of my go-to dinners for nights when I’m feeling lazy is a couple of fried eggs on toast. This baked egg dish takes that general concept and bumps it up a few notches. There is a layer of tomato sauce, a little mozzarella cheese and an egg baked until the white is set, but the yolk is still soft and runny. Serve it with some toast on the side for dipping and it’s a tasty and ridiculously easy meal!
- 2 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
- ¼-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bread
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat up the tomato sauce in the microwave or on the stove and divide it evenly between 4 oven safe bowls or ramekins. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the warm tomato sauce and then use a large spoon to make a shallow indentation in the cheese and sauce. Gently crack the eggs and put one in each ramekin being careful not to break the yolk. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny.
- When the eggs are almost done, toast the bread and cut the slices in half. When the eggs come out of the oven, sprinkle them with salt, pepper and fresh basil. Serve immediately and use the toast for dipping.
Adapted from A Tasty Kitchen