I’m so sorry for the lack of posts lately. This winter has been a doozy and the never-ending cold and snow have completely zapped me of my motivation to cook. Then on the few times I have tried something new and delicious it has been too dark and cloudy to get decent pictures. So, Boomer and I have basically been hibernating and hoping that spring might eventually show up bringing daylight and warmth.
Until that happens, I’ve decided that copious quantities of chocolate will have to be the solution. I’ve actually made these Cosmic Brownies several times before and had to go looking through the archives to see if I had already posted them. I feel like I’ve been holding out on you all because these brownies are so good- they’re chewy and fudgy and topped off with a rich chocolate ganache. Apparently these brownies are very similar to the Cosmic Brownies from Little Debbie. I haven’t had one of those in ages so I can’t compare, but I can say these brownies have quickly become one of my favorites!
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tbl. water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil or parchment paper. Lightly grease foil/paper then set aside.
- Stir together the sugars, butter, and water with a whisk. Add the the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients with the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 18 minutes. Be careful not to overbake.
- When the brownies are finished baking, you can prepare the ganache. Over a double boiler, combine the cream and bittersweet chocolate. Stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Allow to cool for several minutes, then pour evenly over the brownies. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Adapted from Fake Ginger