I had incredibly lazy Saturday, but I made up for it yesterday with a run around the local lake, a walk and bath for Boomer and of course some cooking! I originally planned to make lasagna, but I changed my mind at the last minute and decided I needed a grilled cheese sandwich in my life and you can’t eat a grilled cheese without tomato soup right?
This soup comes together so quickly and it tastes absolutely delicious. I had a bowl fresh off the stove yesterday for dinner and re-heated some for dinner tonight after a Zumba class. This is one of those recipes where everything is simple- the ingredients are basic and it doesn’t take much time or effort to make, but the end result is perfect. The soup is thick and creamy and the fresh basil adds some wonderful flavor. Check back later this week for the grilled cheese sandwich recipe I served with the soup (it involves caramelized onions- yum!)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 2.5 oz. basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half (use cream for a richer soup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and saute until the onion is softened. Pour in the diced tomatoes and tomato juice. Simmer for 30 minutes then blend, if desired, to create a smooth texture*. Return the mixture to the pot and stir in the basil and half-and-half. Heat until the soup is warm then salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
- *I usually like to blend about half of the soup, this gives it a relatively smooth consistency with some pieces of tomato and onion for texture.