Lemon is one of my favorite flavors to have in a summer time dessert. Lemon pie, lemon cookies, lemon bars, pretty much anything with lemon in it is good by me! Originally, the recipe for these bars just included a little bit of lemon zest, but of course I wanted to up the lemon flavor so I decided to add a layer of my favorite lemon curd. Combined with the blueberries, the lemon curd makes for just the right combination of sweet and tart.
A few thoughts about this recipe:
- I used frozen blueberries and the bars turned out great. If you can find fresh blueberries that aren’t too expensive, I’d use them, but the frozen berries worked just fine. If you decide to go the frozen route, let them thaw slightly while you prepare the crust.
- The lemon curd can be made a day or two in advance and stored in the fridge if you want to do some prep ahead of time.
- I preferred these bars when they were chilled, but they’re delicious at room temperature too!
Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Lemon Curd
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tbl. lemon peel
- Crust & Topping
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the lemon curd, combine eggs and sugar in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Add the lemon juice, butter, and lemon peel. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until thick. Watch that the temperature doesn't get too hot or the eggs will scramble. Set aside to cool.
- Make the crust by combining the sugar, flour, salt and baking powder in bowl or the bowl for a food processor. Use the food processor or a pastry cutter to blend the flour mixture and butter until combined. Whisk the egg and vanilla in a separate bowl, then add to the flour mixture and blend to combine, the dough will be very crumbly. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch, then pour over the blueberries and gently stir to coat the berries.
- Press half of the crust mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Spread the lemon curd evenly over the crust, then sprinkle the blueberries over the curd. Crumble the remaining crust mixture on top. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
Source: My Baking Addiction and All Recipes