Hi friends! Sorry for the vanishing act the last two weeks, I’m not quite sure what happened, but life just got away from me. Luckily I have been spending some time in the kitchen and worked on two amazing desserts using my favorite lemon curd. There’s something about spring that has me wanting allllll the lemon.
I made this Lemon Cheesecake last year for the first time and was glad I had an occasion to make it again this week. The smooth, creamy cheesecake has a hint of lemon flavor from some fresh lemon juice and zest. The tart lemon curd on top is a delicious contrast to the sweet cheesecake. The gingersnap cookie crust is a delicious, and unique, combination with the lemon. The Lemon Cheesecake was a hit at work, and hopefully it helped make up for my abysmal bowling score at our work event earlier this week!
- 2 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 5 tbl. unsalted butter, melted
- 1¾ cups (8.75 oz.) sugar
- 1 tbl. lemon zest, grated
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1½ lbs. cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cup lemon curd
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix the melted butter with the gingersnap cookie crumbs. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Bake for about 15 minutes then allow to cool while you prepare the cheesecake.
- Process ¼ cup of sugar with the lemon zest in a food processor. Pulse the sugar for about 20 seconds until the zest is broken down and the sugar is moist and light yellow. Transfer the lemon sugar to a bowl and mix with the remaining sugar.
- Place the cream cheese in a mixer fit with the paddle attachment. Turn on the mixer to medium-low and gradually pour in the sugar. Mix for about 3 minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the eggs 2 at a time, mixing until just incorporated and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. With the mixer on medium low, add the lemon juice, vanilla, salt, and heavy cream and mix for a few seconds until just incorporated. Pour the mixture into the springform pan.
- Place the springform pan on top of a cookie sheet, then place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until the edges are set and the center still has a slight jiggle. Turn off the oven and prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon to allow the oven to gradually cool down. After about an hour, move the cheesecake to the counter to cool completely.
- Spread the lemon curd over the top of the cooled cheesecake and refrigerate until fully chilled.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen