This recipe first appeared on the blog in 2013. I’ve made them dozens of times since then and thought the recipe deserved an update and new photos.
I think anyone who bakes with much frequency has a few ‘go-to’ dessert recipes. Those recipes that you know will turn out perfectly every. single. time and that people always seem to enjoy, no matter where you take the dessert. These Oatmeal Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies definitely fit that description for me. I’ve honestly lost track of how many times I’ve made them, but they’re always devoured. The oatmeal gives the cookie a wonderful chewy texture and they have just the right amount of peanut butter flavor.
The cookies are delicious all on their own, but a spoonful of Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream in the middle really takes them over the top. Chewy oatmeal peanut butter cookies with creamy chocolate buttercream is a perfect combination. They are sure to be a hit with whomever is lucky enough to try them!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup quick-cook oats
- 1 batch Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Use a mixer to cream the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium-high speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the oatmeal.
- Use a small cookie scoop (about 2 teaspoons) to evenly portion out the dough. Place the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet with a few inches of space to allow them to spread. Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting. Follow this recipe to make a chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream, or follow the recipe here for peanut butter frosting.
- Combine the butter, peanut butter, confectioner's sugar and 5 tablespoons of heavy cream. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy; slowly add additional cream if necessary to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- When the cookies are completely cool, frost half the cookies then top them with the remaining cookies. Gently push down on the top cookie to sandwich them together.
Adapted from All Recipes