A few weeks ago I found myself with some leftover rice in the fridge and not enough vegetables to make a stir fry. I had been looking forward to trying this recipe for a while and it was the perfect opportunity! I love creamy, cheesy casseroles and this one turned out really well. I used cheddar cheese when I made it, but next time around I think I’ll use pepper jack instead to give the casserole a little spice.
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 1 tbl. water
- ½ tbl. olive oil
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1½ cup cooked brown rice (measure after cooking)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or pepper jack)
- ⅓ cup milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a 8 x 8 inch baking dish.
- Place the spinach and water in a large skillet over medium heat; cover and cook until the spinach wilts. Drain the spinach and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the olive oil. Saute the chopped onion for a few minutes until translucent.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown rice, cheese, milk, eggs and salt. Stir in the onion and wilted spinach. Pour into the prepared 8 x8 inch pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until set in the middle
Adapted from Tammy’s Recipes