I’ve always liked the idea of including rice in soup, the rice makes it so much more filling and satisfying. This soup is a great way to use up some leftover rice and whatever vegetables are left in the fridge at the end of the week. In addition to being tasty, this soup is quick and easy to put together!
Veggie and Rice Soup
- 2 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbl. minced garlic
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3-4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian herb mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Pour the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the celery, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes until they are tender. Pour in the vegetable broth, rice, tomatoes, Italian herb mix, salt, pepper and parsley. Cook over medium heat until the mixture simmers, then remove from heat and serve.